Here we are less than five months until, once again, we spend our evenings and weekends glued to the television as spectators of the Summer Olympics taking place in Rio De Janeiro. The athletes we will watch will have spent years of training, years of envisioning crossing their respective ‘finish lines’ and years of dreaming of earning a medal. Regardless of their respective outcomes, they will have earned the right to see themselves and be seen as ‘Olympians’. They will be members of a very exclusive club.
I know that one aspect that gets me hooked is the fascination with trying to imagine what getting into the games has really meant for all of those participating? How have they maintained this focus for the time required to have these games be their 1st or their 6th time as an Olympian? And finally, how can they speak enthusiastically and openly about building on this experience and returning to the next Olympic games? Are they serious? Come on!
But wait a second. We have blogged about the challenges related to achieving what we resolved to achieve in terms of our business plans be them individual or organizational. And now, as we enter the second quarter of the year how are we doing? Maybe our building anticipation related to the Olympics this summer can serve us well in our own pursuits around our personal business goals?
Just imagine and compare.
- Imagine … what each Olympics participant has had to do that enables them to dare to dream of being an Olympian. It has been driven by a true passion and belief in what’s possible for them … and this is needed and first step.
√ Check. You resolved to achieve the envisioned goal you set for 2016 because you want it, deserve it and know it’s possible for you to reach it.
- Imagine … what Olympians have obviously done next is create the plan that will assure them of achieving that dream as participant and hopefully, a medal winner.
√ Check (Partial). You have your plan and are now entering the second quarter of the year executing and working hard to resist the magnetic pull to distractions that can take you off track as you learn and apply the skills that your success requires. You’re very determined to stay your course because your envisioned goal for this year is very
- Imagine … how aspiring 2016 Olympians tirelessly execute their plan and seek and accept the help from others capable of guiding them on their chosen path.
√ Check (Maybe?). Sure … you’re executing your plan alright, yet, how are you doing in seeking help from others who can provide assistance … assistance that will serve as cement to keep you on track to accomplish all that you envision? No heroics here. Just calling into play every tool that can spell your success.
It sounds like a straight forward and simple approach … right? And that’s not to be confused with easy. Do you see the similarities? In brief, the overall plan looks like this whether in the workplace or athletic field:
- The VISION: We establish a well defined goal of where we want to go that will spell ‘success’ and give us a chance to medal.
- The PLAN: What is it that we need … the learning, training and the actions that are required for us to achieve that goal?
- The HELP: to strengthen the skills needed and to learn to recognize the things that can interrupt our climb and thus, be obstacles to staying the course of that plan as we learn how to get control of them.
And there it is. Just dream, plan and execute … using whatever help you know you need to stay your course. Keep eyes on the ultimate win and the medal will come! Are you going for it? I’m headed for the podium. Join me!