Earlier this month I wrote about creating a New Year’s Resolution list and why it just doesn’t work for me. It doesn’t provide me with the staying power that it needs to be meaningful. However … just because that’s not the chosen path which I travel … there is absolutely no reason I can’t pass along The Third Zone’s wish list for YOU.
- Evaluating where you are in your career and where you intend to be at year end 2014
- Identifying what moving up in your work or your company would look like … thinking in terms of an advancement that would be either a …
- Slam Dunk …. A sure thing without any major new effort
- Stretch … would take some new effort to learn and/or to demonstrate the skills needed to take you there
- GULP! … taking you way beyond your current proficiency with tremendous rewards for what you will have acquired and achieved.
- Exploring the opportunities you have to take advantage of and achieve your dream
- Conversing with others both inside and outside the organization who can help you identify the path that will lead you to where you want to be at year end
- Demonstrating the willingness to dream and the strength to pursue that dream … because you can
There is something extremely powerful in recognizing that we, individually, are capable of both charting and pursuing our own course to getting where we are determined to go. It’s SO-O-O much better that counting on someone else to make our success their priority. In this situation, we stand in their line. In seeing this as our job, it’s a short line of one. Maybe you resolve to simply be the one in ‘14? We hope you’ll think about it. We hope you move yourself into the ‘zone’ … you know . . the one that bridges the gap between the dream of achievement & the reality of performance . . . The Third Zone!